Last week I posted my 10 favorite Christmas songs. But then today I got to thinking, what about all those funny holiday songs? Heaven knows a good laugh goes a long way, especially during the often hectic days of December. So here are my favorite Christmas funnies (click on title links for lyrics):
1. Merry Christmas From The Family, by Robert Earl Keen. At first glance this song appears to be about a loud, drunken, lowbrow family Christmas party — not the sort of thing that usually appeals to me. But after I’d heard it a few times I began to realize that it’s about a lot more than just that. I mean, it is about a loud, drunken, lowbrow family Christmas party, but the real message here is about love and togetherness and the noisy, messy fun of a big extended family get-together where everyone feels welcome and at home. It’s really grown on me.
2. Please Come Home For Christmas, by Rockapella. I can’t find the lyrics online anywhere, sorry about that. This song starts out as a straightforward version of the classic, but it gets very funny about halfway through.
3. The Twelve Days Of…you know, stuff. There have been so many different versions of the 12 Days Of Christmas, I decided to lump my faves together. We have The Redneck 12 Days Of Christmas by Jeff Foxworthy, “The 12 Gifts Of Christmas” by Alan Sherman, and the Muppets’ slightly-disorganized rendering of the original “12 Days” lyrics.
4. Baby, It’s Cold Outside, by Steve Tyrell and Jane Monheit. Actually, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan have a pretty good version too, and Dean Martin (I totally have a crush on Deano, he’s so dreamy) has done this song with a gazillion different partners, but I think the Tyrell/Monheit duo gets the comic timing just exactly right.
5. It’s So Chic To Be Pregnant At Christmas, by Nancy White. Very funny song!
6. Deck The Stills, by Barenaked Ladies. No lyrics link here because the song consists of exactly five words: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Repeated over and over to the tune of “Deck the Halls.” Rather strange — but insidiously catchy! This one will get in your head.